Board Members Present: Jim Burrage, Tim Gallagher, Ann Reynolds, Mary Gallagher, Jim Hopkins
Facility Managers Present: Keith and Mickey Hendershot
Jim called the meeting to order at 11:06 Saturday, May 26, 2018 in the upper room of the Athletic Center. Combining proxies and the sign-in, Mary noted the presence of a quorum.
The officers and managers introduced themselves to the members. Tim introduced Keith and Mickey Hendershot as the new part-time facility manager team. Jim announced the hiring of Linda Wood as bookkeeper
Carl Middleton moved the adoption of the minutes of the last annual meeting as posted onthe AC website and copies available to attending members. Sally Middleton seconded. The motion passed unanimously.
President’s Report – Jim Burrage
Jim reported a growth year with 130 total members with more club exposure to the local community. He presented a list of maintenance and procurements for the past year:
* Purchased 3 upright spinning bikes and DVD plus 1 new upright bike.
* Replaced water heater, pool & spa lights
* Repaired pool pump and rebuilt the motor
* Repaired window trim by hot tub - replaced door in chemical room
* Installed new fan & venting system
* Purchased new computer chip for chemical controller
Upcoming maintenance items that is being considered include parking lines, handrails in showers, fix or replace cabinet doors in workout room, clean pool lines and extend the dehumidifier ducting in pool area to reduce moisture buildup.
The board has compiled a KGAC Board Member Operational Handbook which captures how the club operates, roles and responsibilities, operation and maintenance of equipment, vendor list, etc.
We are continuing to update the website and maintaining the Facebook page.
Jim announced that Kerry Twitchell is our new custodial service as of last fall. He also introduced Keith Hendershot as our new part-time Facilities Manager Consultant with Linda Wood as our new bookkeeper.
Tim asked that members to help keep track of towel usage as they seem to disappear or are overused. Tim also explained the role of the Personal Services trainer, Heidi Bryan, her cost structure and relationship to the Athletic Club.
Mary Long, member, offers a Zumba class on Mondays, Wednesday &Fridays.
Since the revised club hours of operation have been changed to 4am to 10 pm, we have seen a noticeable decrease to damage to the facility and beer cans in the garbage. Overall, there has been positive support of this change from the Members.
Treasurer’s Report – Review of Budget and Activities Expenditures- Tim Gallagher
* Copies of the proposed annual budget was distributed to the members – see attached
* Tim reported the current status of our reserve account which now has approximately $37K, and he alerted the members of the need to continue to increase that account each year as we foresee within 5 years, the replacement of the dehumidifier at $40K. Also, we need to be aware the aging roof on our facility.
* We have significantly reduced past due member’s accounts, and we will start enforcing a 3% late fee after 60 days on unpaid accounts.
* Carl Middleton suggested we have a budget line item specifically for the dehumidifier and roof. The board will take that under consideration.
* We have caught up on past taxes and are now current.
* Our five year business loan was renegotiated this year. We currently owe $500K
* Tim announced the need for a 4% dues increase to start in November.
Dues Authorization Clause:
Jim explained the history of passing a conditional dues increase at each annual meeting. This is to adopt a dues increase up to $8.33 per month or proportional for the limited memberships, should the occasion arise.
Carl Middleton moved to accept the budget as presented which includes the Dues Authorization Claus. Jan Deveny seconded. No questions were asked and the motion was passed unanimously.
Election of Board Members for 2018-1019
Tim and Ann will continue their second year terms. Jim and Moana Hopkins have both resigned. Jim asked for volunteers to be on the board and accepted nominations from the floor. Luke Groen was nominated by Mary Gallagher. He accepted for a 1-year term. Cary Ecker volunteered for a 1-year term position.
Candidates for the 2-year (2018-2020) positions:
* Mary Gallagher
* Carl Middleton
Candidates for the 1-year (2018-2019) positions:
* Lou Greenlee
* Jim Burrage
* Luke Groen
Voting ballots were tallied and the new board was elected giving us a total of 8 Board members. We still have one (2-year) term available.
General Good of the Order:
* Several years ago, Linda Wandell, club member and attorney, recommended that the following motion be passed annually by the membership at the annual meeting:
“Motion to resolve that all action of the directors and officers of the corporation on behalf of the corporation during the past year were ratified and confirmed, provided the actions were within the scope of the directors’ and officers’ duties and not outside the normal course of business of the corporation”
Jan Deveny moved that the motion be adopted as read. Sally Middleton seconded. The motions passed unanimously.
* Tim took a few minutes to share the status of the Nason Ridge Forest Conservancy, explained how our property values may be affected, and answered questions regarding the issues and donations procedures.
* Keith asked for volunteers to help with work parties that will be scheduled through the coming year. He has a list of projects and provided a signup sheet for those interested in office organizing, carpentry, pool cleaning, gardening etc.
* Jim invited all Athletic Club members to attend the board meetings which will be scheduled 4 to 6 times a year. Keith will maintain a list for interested members who would like an emailed invitation.
* Jim thanked Jim and Moana Hopkins for all their past work on the board and thanked Bill Miller for all the work and consulting help he has given.
Jim called for a motion to adjourn. Sally Middleton so moved and Jan Deveny seconded. The meeting was adjourned at 11:52, when we all went to the patio to enjoy the BBQ on this breezy, sunny day.
Ann Reynolds, Acting Secretary
*** These Minutes will be officially accepted by Vote of the General Membership at the next Annual Meeting Memorial Weekend 2019.